Planning for end-of-life care before it becomes a worry is as important as all the other life plans you have made. Having a plan in place in advance makes it easier for you, your doctor and your loved ones if you are unable to tell them your health care choices because of an injury or serious illness.
Every moment is precious – especially at the end-of-life. Starting the conversation early can ensure that your choices are heard. It also means that when time becomes short, you can spend it doing what you most enjoy and not making last minute decisions. Talk about your wishes while you are in good health so you will be prepared. A health crisis can happen to anyone at any time. Don’t wait. Start the conversation today.
Know your options
Planning for end-of-life starts with understanding your available care options. Hospice and palliative care match treatment options and support to the specific needs of you and your family.
- Palliative care is provided to seriously ill patients for as long as needed. Care is focused on providing relief from symptoms, pain and the stress of illness.
- Hospice provides medical care, symptom management and emotional and spiritual support in the last stages of a terminal illness for you and your family.
When should you start the conversation?
- when you want to give your family the gift of having the tough decisions already made.
- when you have a terminal illness, chronic long-term illness or life-limiting illness, or when you are the caregiver of someone in these situations
- when you are starting a new family so that decisions are made ahead in case of unexpected injury or illness.
Take the next step. It’s Time.
- Call us, (802) 527-7531, to learn more about your Palliative Care and Hospice options, and for help with your advance directives.
- Put your plans in writing and share them with your family and health care provider as well as the online registry. Contact Vermont Ethics Network for additional information, www.vtethicsnetwork.org, (802) 828-2909.
Franklin County Home Health Agency
3 Home Health Circle
St. Albans, VT 05478
ph: 802-527-7531 fax: 802-527-7533